The contribution of volunteers in terms of time and expertise is integral to sport development and delivery from ‘sport for all’ to elite levels. Good volunteer management and a clear understanding of the way volunteers work in sport is essential to protect and nurture this valuable group of individuals.
This is the first academic text to examine the role of volunteers in sport, and links theory and research to provide clear guidelines for implementing good volunteer management practice. The authors are well known for their research in this subject and cover the key issues including:
- developing sport through volunteers
- recruiting and retaining volunteers
- government policy and international comparisons
- specialist volunteers – coaches, officials, administrators
- relationships with paid staff
- volunteers and the law.
Nearly six million adult volunteers work in sport in the UK alone and this work forms the backbone of much sporting success. Working with Volunteers in Sport is a valuable read for students and professionals alike.