The definitive one-volume guide to all sub-Saharan African countries, providing invaluable economic, political, statistical and directory data.
New for 2014:
- fully revised government lists for all countries
- coverage of major new stories over the past 12 months, including the strained post-secession relations between Sudan and South Sudan and the Islamist rebellion in Mali
- election results from Kenya, Djibouti, Zimbabwe and Togo
Thoroughly revised and updated analytical articles written by experts on the region and covering both continent-wide and sub-regional issues.
Individual chapters on every country incorporating:
- essays on the physical and social geography, recent history and economy
- an extensive statistical survey of economic indicators
- a full directory containing names, addresses and contact details for key areas such as the government, diplomatic representation, the media, finance, trade and industry, and defence
- a useful bibliography, providing sources for further research
Detailed information on regional organizations; commodities; research institutes; and select bibliographies of books and periodicals.
Table of Contents
Part 1: General Survey. Economic Trends in Africa South of the Sahara. Health and Medical Issues in Sub-Saharan Africa. European Colonial Rule in Africa. A Country of Development: Policy and Process in Sub-Saharan Africa. State Failure in Africa: Causes, Consequences and Responses. China's Steady Growth in Sub-Saharan Africa. The East African Community. Brazil-Africa Relations. Part 2: Country Surveys. Angola. Benin. Botswana. British Indian Ocean Territory. Burkina Faso. Burundi. Cameroon. Cape Verde. The Central African Republic. Chad. The Comoros. The Democratic Republic of the Congo. The Republic of the Congo. Côte d'Ivoire. Djibouti. Equatorial Guinea. Eritrea. Ethiopia. Gabon. The Gambia. Ghana. Guinea. Guinea-Bissau. Kenya. Lesotho. Liberia. Madagascar. Malawi. Mali. Mauritania. Mauritius. Mozambique. Namibia. Niger. Nigeria. Réunion. Rwanda. Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha. São Tomé and Príncipe. Senegal. Seychelles. Sierra Leone. Somalia. South Africa. South Sudan. Sudan. Swaziland. Tanzania. Togo. Uganda. Zambia. Zimbabwe. Part 3: Regional Information. Regional Organizations. Major Commodities of Africa. Calendars. Research Institutes Concerned with Africa. Select Bibliography (Books). Select Bibliography (Periodicals). Index of Regional Organizations.
"This is probably the best reference work available on this part of the African continent."
– Reference Reviews
"This edition provides a timely benchmark for the notoriously fluid sub-Saharan region."
– RUSI Journal
"A well-balanced, well-judged and remarkably comprehensive volume."
– Times Literary Supplement
"This is the most comprehensive and up-to-date guide to African countries and organizations."
– International Affairs
"The best thing of its kind on the market."
– West Africa
"La più accurata e completa radiografia economico geografica di questa parte di mondo."
– Atlante Milan
"Splendid annual survey."
– Reference & Research Book News
"A welcome addition to any library shelf."
– Africa Events
"Packed with information on countries from Angola to Zimbabwe ... an invaluable reference guide to the Continent." – African Review